Friday, July 04, 2008

Independence Day - Honoring those who serve

I hearby dedicate this Independence Day to my Father and his brothers and my nephew.

Uncle Jack was a navigator on the first bombing run on the Ploesti Oil Field in WWII. He was shot down and endured 13 months in a Romanian POW camp. More on Ploesti. Uncle Jack passed away over 20 years ago and is buried in a family plot.

Uncle Woody was one of the Chosin Few Marines. Uncle Woody also served in the Army in WWII. He passed away a few years ago and is buried in Riverside National Cemetery.

Uncle Anthony served in the Army in WWII and the Marines in Korea. I say he is an unofficial member of the Chosin Few. You see, he was AWOL up there trying to find my Uncle Woody. Uncle Anthony is the only living brother.

Uncle Gene was in the Navy. He had flat feet so the Army and the Marines wouldn't take him. He too passed away and is buried in Riverside National Cemetery.

And Pops who served in the Army in WWII and the Marines in Korea and who we laid to rest at Riverside National Cemetery December 28, 2007.

And last but by no means least, my nephew Johnny who just became a Marine this year.

Thank you all for your service. Thank you to all who have served over the years and all who are serving today.

2 comments:

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

I salute your all the Heroes in your family for their service!

Thanks!

Kirly said...

Aw! Thanks Ben! I think, like everyone else who served or serves, they don't feel like heroes when they're serving. But, they are.